Blogging, CommunityServer

Note to those who comment – captcha enabled

Due to an ever increasing amount of spam I installed the (Ajax enabled) captcha control for CommunityServer 2007 written by Brendan Tompkins today. The installation documentation was clear enough, kinda. It still took me a little bit to get it working. At first, however I configured it, it just wouldn’t show up. I couldn’t understand what I was doing wrong – double checking my configuration I was sure I hade it down right. As I went to review the source code I noticed what caused the issue. It had an if (!Page.Request.IsAuthenticated) in there causing me, an authenticated user, to never see the captcha. At that point all I had to do was logout, and there it was. So now when you comment on posts on any of the blogs on this site, you have to fill out the captcha (if you haven’t created an account and logged in – but who does that?). Also note that I moderate all anonymous comments, so they wont ger published until I say so – usually within a day.

As I sidenote, I experienced something when trying to download the file that I haven’t experienced before. When downloading with IE the file came down corrupt. Someone tipped about using a simple downloader named WGET. When using that the file got down correctly and I was able to open it ok. Strange thing…

Blogging, CommunityServer

Getting formatted c# code into CommunityServer

After looking at a couple of different solutions I ended up using csharpformat for one of my previous posts, and I will probably keep using it. It’s not perfect, most of all I would have liked getting CopySourceAsHtml working, since judging from the description that would make the snippets in the blog look exactly like in Visual Studio, which is what I really want. However it just keeps throwing exceptions and I am in no mood of debugging it at the moment. Csharpformat with some small adjustments to the css file does the trick, and most importantly it makes the code itself searchable and copyable instead of it being an image – which isn’t really helping anyone. CSharpformat seems to also be mirrored here, and is available as a VS.NET 2005 plugin here, although since it builds on the same principles I am not sure what extras it gives you, but then I haven’t tried it.

Blogging, CommunityServer

Getting ClustrMaps into CommunityServer

I know, when you’re just starting out a blog, you don’t have that many readers, if any – so having an empty ClustrMap isn’t all that cool. But we all started somewhere. Getting ClustrMap for your blog is as simple as it gets. Just go to http://clustrmaps.com/ and sign up for a free account, wait for a mail and sign in using the password it will contain, then paste some html. Follow the same procedure as my previous post.

Blogging, CommunityServer, Messenger

Getting Messenger into Community Server 2007.1

See the little Messenger status icon under the News section in the sidebar? You can use that to contact me. If you click it it will open up a web messenger style dialog in a new browser window allowing you to either sign in with your Live Id or post a message anonymously (I’m allowing that for now).


If you want this on your site you can find out how at the Messenger blog. Basically you go to your online Messenger Settings and choose one of three styles, the little messenger window where you can chat directly in the same window as the blog, the staus icon look and the button look, which is a status icon and your display name inside a button. You then get html code to paste to whereever you want it.


I wanted the later, which of course was the one I couldn’t get working. The first obstacle, being new to CommunityServer, was finding out what to do to get something in the sidebar. I found this blog post, saying that you could basically put anything in the News section. Sounded easy enough. The example is from an older version of CommunityServer, things look a little different in the version I’m using, but the idea still works. When I pasted the html and clicked save though, it got formatted into html special characters text making the actual code appear on my blog instead of the meaning it represented. Finding out why that happens was a matter of another search, locating this forum post, explaining how to alter the configuration to allow for the script tags to pass unchanged. I did that. I also added in the attributes of msgr:width etc to the div tag. Since the configuration file is xml I also added a namespace declaration for the msgr namespace. I finally got the code as it should be, but the button still won’t show up. I suspect it has something to do with the class of the div that contains it, or perhaps it being inside a ul tag. Not sure. For now I settled on the status icon instead. If anyone has insight into how to get this to work, feel free to share.